Friday, September 28, 2012

Dear Ender,

I'm not going to lie; I'm not sure how I feel about you yet. I have a feeling you're minipulitive, violent, and selfish. But for some reason I'm not totally turned off. Maybe it's because you're "the chosen one." But even so, should that behavior be rewarded? I don't think so.

I get the distinct feeling you're going to be praised for your violence. But not because it's violence, but because it's "smart witted." I'm sorry, I don't care how smart you are--violence is violence. And to encourage it at such a young age is terrible.

I can't help but think of all the kids that are bullied and hurt themselves--or worse--over violence in schools, and it makes me sick to think you're out there climbing the ranks due to it. And you feel no remorse. I think you might a little. Maybe deep down and you just haven't noticed it yet.

But that thought just doesn't leave my mind. I try to be open, and I am trying to let you finish my story before I completely dislike you, but I don't know if I'll be able to do it.

I don't know if in this world of violence, if I can condone such behavior from such a young boy. And I realize they say it's for the greater good of the world, but is it really? Can't there be an easier way than forcing these young girls and boys to leave their families and prepare for war.

I guess it's not the first time something like this has happened. And I realize it won't be the last. But there's got to be a better way. There's got to be a way in which we don't instill these values of violence and hatred in our children. Because lets face it, even if it's instilled in the best interest of humanity, it's still creating a vicious race of people. And it's spreading to those kids who are not even of the chosen class.

Look at Peter. Just look at him. I've never seen a larger cry for help in my life, yet he's just seen as a normal kid... Normal kids don't kill squirrels because they're bored. Normal kids don't make their siblings believe they're going to be killed. And why is he like this? Because of his hatred for you for accomplishing what he couldn't. Your going off to "save the world" in war is creating him to be a monster. So it's not just you. It's not just the kids your training with. It's spreading. Throughout the whole universe.

And I just wonder if you're where it started... But like I said, I'll try my best not to judge until I let you finish your story. I am trying. I just don't really have any tolerance for violence.

Non-judgingly Yours,
NicholleLee

No comments:

Post a Comment