Friday, March 11, 2016

Dear, Cassie,

We met about a year ago, but I was in a place where I was trying to think positively and I thought your sad story would hinder any progress I was trying to make. Here I am, a year later, in the middle of a mess, and I found myself drawn to you again. I'm not trying to "stay positive," and I'm just trying to feel things and function and cope with life day by day. And, funny thing is, I think I found so much comfort in you. In what I thought was your sad story. And I'm humbled by how wrong I was a year ago. Your story is not sad; your story is difficult, maybe a little messy, but it is far from sad--it's inspirational, and uplifting, and encouraging. And it's exactly what I needed to hear.

Your struggles have been real. You ran with your first love and it turned out to be something completely different than you had anticipated--your love story turned into an abusive relationship; the love story you left everything for, believed in without a doubt... You left and had nothing, not even a family to support you.

I feel so silly for thinking there was nothing to learn from you a year ago. You are the definition of strong; you are a fine example for women everywhere.

I found so much comfort in hearing your story. You are just so real. You're a girl busting her butt to do the best she can for her kid. And that's all I want in life too. To work hard, have a happy kid, and find some happiness myself. You fell down, and you got back up. And when you fell down again, you got back up again. Out of the ashes, you got more than you ever could have imagined. Not only did you get your family back, but you found a new one, and you turned your life into something you never could have imagined.  I know it's not easy, but you make it seem so easy. You provide hope that there is, well, hope.

I have a wonderful family--more wonderful than I ever could have imagined. And they will support me in everything I do. They will pick me up when I fall, and I probably will. And I feel grateful for that, especially knowing that there are girls out there like you who are going through far more difficult struggles. You had to support yourself and pick yourself up, and there's something so admirable in that. It's usually when we're at our worst that we realize how much we're actually worth. And you, my friend, have soared. I couldn't be happier for you. You deserve everything you've gotten and so much more.

You're an inspiration to me, and women everywhere--to do the right thing, to believe in themselves, to reach for the stars. So, thank you. Thank you for giving me courage, and hope, and strength. Thank you for going through the situations you did, and coming out on top, a role model for all us girls struggling. Thank you for being you, and for sharing your story.

Not-so-strugglingly Yours,
NicholleLee

No comments:

Post a Comment