Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dear Jen,


I thought your story was so interesting. It's been an awful long time since I've read it, but I am always from time to time thinking about it. Just thinking about being an innovator, which is what you are. I read it, like I said, many years ago, but I didn't really appreciate it until I grew up, the message that is, I guess. The idea of liking something, being made fun of for it, then it becomes super popular. This is something I can relate to. This is something I feel, many people can relate to at one point in time.
At the age I was when I read your story, I must have been 12 or 13, I didn't understand how someone could be made fun of something that was clearly so cool. I just didn't understand. I always wondered: if that became so cool then why were people making fun of it? If that person didn't like that and they were opinionated enough to make fun of someone, why on earth would they ever go back to it? And I never understood that! And it made me so made. This whole innovation thing confused me. I remember when I first starting reading I thought you were so cool, and people must really like you because you were such a trend-setter. Then I found out you were not very liked. And I was shocked! I honestly remember my jaw dropping. And I was so confused!
I mean I understand the concept now and everything, but, boy was I surprised. And I always think about that from time to time. What am I laughing at about someone that I am going to end up loving in three or four or how many ever years? And I know I'm totally showing everyone how lame I am, but I thought about it in 2005 when I read Twilight when it first came out, and was made fun of for it. Like legitimately made fun of. And look at it now?! And when I think about my boyfriend. He used to wear suit pants, button down shirts, ties, and sweater-vests to school everyday and was made SO much fun of for it. And look at how society dresses now! That exact way. And I always think about that when someone laughs at something someone has on or is reading or is even listening to in the music. Because we never know. We never know.
And I thought that you should just know that after all these years after we spent time together, I still think of you. Do you think of me, too?

Innovativly yours,
NicholleLee Robertson.

No comments:

Post a Comment